Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is small and has started throwing up and we can't

Customer Question

My dog is small and has started throwing up and we can't seem to stop it. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. First, please remove the water. If he is continuing to actively vomit we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is he needs to drink to maintain hydration but if he is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having him seen by a veterinary er sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/4 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope he is feeling better soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to view my responses earlier and your Chorkie is feeling a little better since you asked your question...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!