Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My daughter has a 3 year old bassett that has a red spot on

Customer Question

My daughter has a 3 year old bassett that has a red spot on behind about 2 inches above the tail - won't stop licking it. Tried a dog diaper and cream and also benedryl. What could it be and how can she make him more comfortable
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your dog has a wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

The primary concern when this type of wound or hot spot is near the tail is that it is a flea allergy dermatitis. I would definitely advise beginning a flea medication as soon as possible but unfortunately one flea bite can cause excessive chewing and discomfort that can go on for 2-4 weeks before it begins to subside.

CLICK HERE for information on hot spots

CLICK HERE for information on Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD)

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put that dog diaper on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the wound

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry twice daily until improved then slowly taper as improvement is seen.

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Benadryl, just to confirm the dosage is 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours as needed for itch. This might cause mild sedation

7.) If necessary there is an over the counter astringent available at your local pharmacy called Dom Boro. Follow the instructions on the package once to twice daily to help remove the moisture from the area and hopefully get him feeling better soon.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!