Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has had diarrhea and blood on stool. My vet gave me

Customer Question

My dog has had diarrhea and blood on stool.
My vet gave me metronidazole and the fecal test came back negative. This last week my dog has had butt scooting issues that seem out of control. Last night I found what looked like a piece of moving rice aka s segment by his anus and another on his fur. This morning I went to pet Co and bought sentry worm x plus that has pyrantel and praziquantel. My dog isn't scooting near as much, but I am wondering how long this treatment will work and should I continue to give him the metronidazole in conjuction with the 2 dewormer pills? Also should I do another round of dewormer ? If so, how long should I wait?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How many milligrams of praziquantel?

3- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 years old
30mg pyrantel/30 praziquantel
20.19lbs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the rice like segments you saw are tapeworms. Typically a single deworming with praziquantel will resolve the problem. However, the dose for a 20.19 lbs dog should be 68mg, so you need to give another dose of the deworming to reach the recommended therapeutic dose.

As far as the metronidazole, I would keep him on it; this medication will help with the diarrhea and inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter