Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has a growth on s right front leg and hes been

Customer Question

My dog has a growth on his right front leg and hes been chewing on it and now its bleeding and hes limping
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely this mass is a benign tumor common in older schnauzers. When they start t chew at it, this mass ulcerates and bleeds making it messy. The best thing to do is to have your vet remove it and biopsy to be sure it is benign. If it is small enough, this can be removed under a local anesthesia and will not cause your guy any stress. The removal will be curative. In the meantime, place an Elizabethan collar, available at the pet store, on your guy so he cannot get to this mass and apply an antibiotic creme to this area every 8 hrs.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****