Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have just adopted a rescued mini poodle who came from a

Customer Question

I have just adopted a rescued mini poodle who came from a terrible hoarding situation. Because of the conditions all her teeth were either missing or removed. How do I care for a dog with no teeth? I am an experienced dog trainer and experienced at rehabbing dogs but this is a new one for me. This spayed female is said to be 9 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for taking this girl in and giving her the home that she deserves. Sophia is lucky to have you! As far as special needs for a dog with no teeth, honestly there really isn't anything that special that needs to be done for them. As long as all the oral disease is gone and she's comfortable in her mouth, she'll do great with normal care. If there was still infected teeth, fistulas or other source of pain - then taking direct care if that would be needed. At this point she is going to maybe take longer to eat hard food, but they learn quickly to take it in their mouth and to let their saliva soften it so their guns can crush it up. They don't need any specific gruel or mash to eat. Some may feed soft foods to help a little, but they do great on hard foods.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry I did not receive this answer for a long time. We tried giving her hard food but she would only lick it. Since she was under weight we were concerned. So now she is on pedigree chopped chicken, the only food she will eat,and she has gained 1 pound. Thank you for your response.