Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

We have a mixed golden/Canaan, she has been with us years.

Customer Question

We have a mixed golden/Canaan, she has been with us for several years. About a year ago she pooped and peed in my son's bed. We closed off her access to the upstairs and then after several weeks stopped.last week she did again, only in my son's bed. We closed his door when he was away but he forgot to close it and tonight she did it again!!
What is going on? Why is she choosing only his bed when there are other beds? And wh if she's been house trained for years is she doing this at all?
I need to understand what is driving her to do this unwelcome and frustrating behavior.
Thanks *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Was anything/anyone new in the home when this started?

Is she the type of dog that likes to take charge? For example, would she stop on a walk and sniff everything if allowed?

Has there been any new detergent or cleaning used on your sons bed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the above. She's very curious though and always needs to know what everyone's doing.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

thank you. Since it is only happening in your son's room I suspect, as long as her health is fine, that she may be trying to show a bit of dominance. You said she is curious so is it curiosity really or is it wanting to see how she can maneuver herself in a position? Dogs rarely see children in a higher light, however as the child grows they become a bit more assertive and a dog pick ups on this.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

It seems you have gone off line and I will be going off for the night. If you have further questions I will be able to answer you in the A M

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is 24 so it's not like he's growing up lately. Also why would she do it a year ago, stop, and then twice in one week?! It's frustrating because she's a wonderful super friendly dog who hates to disappoint us (when we show her we're unhappy with a behavior of hers for example). We have another dog who was here before Mika came to us and she has never done her business in the house.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If it is not an alpha act then generally something is going on mentally or physically.

Dogs don't do things out of spite or malice, they do things out of a physical illness, or instinct.

The fact that it is only your son's bed can mean that either an odor attracted her to the area or this is a place she felt comfortable in going when she had a need to go.

Once something like this happens, then they are drawn back to the same spot the next time.

Unfortunately you may not ever know the reason she is attracted to this area unless you do a little detective work and to do this then you would have to keep the door open and watch her and her previous actions 100% of the time to see what lead up to the problem.

Take notice of what is going on in the home at the time and who was in your son's bedroom prior and what was going on in the bedroom. Take notice of what the bedroom looks like.

Is your son a neat person or does he leave clothing around? Is his bedding being washed once a week or does he let it go longer?

Little things are important to finding out a root cause.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mika. How is everything going?
DakotaSouthFive