Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

FREQUENT TOUNGE SMACKING AND FLY BITING WITH NO FLIES IN

Customer Question

FREQUENT TOUNGE SMACKING AND FLY BITING WITH NO FLIES IN SIGHT
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your quesiton, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are describing are likely focal seizures. Most people think of siezures as falling over, with paddling, shaking and rigidity. Not all seizures are like this though. Some seizures just effect a small part of the brain resulting in bizarre behaviors. The most common focal seizures is the fly biting seizure. It is excactly as you describe, biting at flies that aren't there. The resulting brain activity can lead to restlessness and agitation. As long as she's not in a full body wide siezure you don't really need to seek emergency care. What you should do is right down every time you see an episode of fly biting and how long it lasts. If this behavior is happening more than once a month then it is frequent enough for anti-siezue treatment and your vet will find your notes very helpful. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Im a pediatric nurse. So I will document. But can this be from the stress of the itching? Are anti seizure meds also going to make her lethargic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her behavior is mostly constant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I don't seek med attention will that do more permanent damage?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

The stress of itching can make the siezures ieasier to trigger, but the itching is usually not connected unless she has a condition like hyperadrenocorticism resulting in the itching and subsequent strokes.

There are three primary choices of affordable anti-seizure meds phenobarbital, zonisamide, and potassium bromide. The idea is to try to find the right single or combination of meds to not have her live in a fog. She can be lethargic the first couple of weeks but if it lingers the meds should be adjusted.

As for permanent damage... usually not unless she is in a full grand mal siezures and her body temp rises above 107. Since this is constant you should have her checked on mon, if the problem increases in intensity then have the emergency vet check her.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually you answered my questions I don't need a call . thank you so much. This is so sad.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome the phone call won't go through but if you could leave a rating I'd appreciate it.

Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zeppy. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan