Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My newborn Borzoi puppy has turned under front patterns he

Customer Question

My newborn Borzoi puppy has turned under front patterns he can't nurse properly what can I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 year and I'd like to help with your question. Give me a moment to type your answer and I will be right with you.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Puppies can develop abnormal contracture of tendons due to abnormal positions in utero. Usually I see those in the hind legs. Most of them can resolve themselves with some supportive care. However, the front leg contracture cases are more rare, harder to deal with (because they can't nurse) and less likely to result in a normal leg. You can try to help this puppy by doing a few things... first, you will have to help him nurse or bottle feed him. Initially this will be every 2 hours around the clock. Once the puppy is a little older you can spread out the feeding to every 3, then every 4 hours. You will need to do some physical therapy on the legs.... this just means gentle straightening and stretching of the contracted tendons for 3-5 minutes every time you feed him. If you can do this, then I give him 50/50 chance of having the legs be normal when he is older. If you can stretch the legs into a normal position... with out pulling hard... then you can try applying small splints to keep them in that position.

I hope that helps but if you have additional questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. I can't do phone calls at this time. You can open the request up for other experts to see if someone else can.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His legs seem to be almost normal he has no trouble eating
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad he's doing better!