Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I gave my 100 lb dog trifexis on nov 1, she vomitted twice

Customer Question

I gave my 100 lb dog trifexis on nov 1, she vomitted twice today.. Last month she vomitted too I am beginning to wonder whether it's trifexis tablet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

It's certainly possible that the Trifexis is responsible for Princess' vomiting since this is a reported side effect of this drug. While most dogs tolerate this product just fine, there are some for whom it causes gastrointestinal issues. However, I wouldn't expect her to vomit one week after it was given; I'd have expected this behavior sooner than today.

But in addition to discontinuing the drug in the future (which I suspect you already plan to do on the off chance that it is responsible), I'd suggest the following for now:

1. Withhold food for at least 12-24 hours.

2. She can have very small amounts of water or Pedialyte but only a very small amount at one time.

3. Over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) can be given which can often help with nausea issues. The dose would be 20 mg twice a day.

If she continues to vomit and/or develops other signs such as lethargy or disinterest in eating, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Princess. How is she doing? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Princess. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb