Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have two puppies that are 7 months old, rescued from

Customer Question

I have two puppies that are 7 months old, rescued from Mexico about two months ago. They have had all their vaccinations and are fixed.
Problem, they have had coughs from the beginning, wet coughs. They have gotten better over the last month, then worse, then better, etc. The problem now, they have tremors and one of them is lame in the right leg. The one that is lame is in severe pain, and getting worse. The other one has tremors, but seems to be getting better.
They have been on Doxycycline for a month, the vet added Cefpodoxime two weeks ago, we started on Rimadyl and have moved to Tramadol for pain. They are now going to add a muscle relaxer.
They have had a full blood panel run, and everything looked normal except for elevated white blood cell count. They tested negative for Dis-temper, Valley Fever.
I do not know what to do. The vet is at a loss. They eat, drink, bowel movements are normal. The one puppy especially is in a lot of pain.
I am hoping a fresh set of eyes can help - I do not know what to do. Thank you!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay - that would be great!
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Other than canine distemper virus, I cannot think of one single cause of all of these signs. Unfortunately, a negative test for distemper does not rule it out entirely.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what samples were taken for the test? And was it only taken once, or multiple times?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They tested his urine, took a blood sample, and swabbed his gums I believe.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Depending on how and when they were tested, I would strongly consider retesting with a different method for canine distemper. Aside from that, I am worried about the one with severe pain and lameness. This can often be caused be panosteitis or hypertrophic osteodystrophy (HOD). X-rays of the long bones will be our best option to try to diagnose one of these problems. Do you know if he has had a fever during this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has had a fever on and off throughout. Like I said, it has been a roller coaster. I think they are getting better then they take a turn for a worse. The vet is absolutely perplexed.
What is HOD?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

HOD is a developmental metabolic disease which affects a particular area of the long bones. It causes pain, lameness, decrease in appetite and fever.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Has he had x-rays of his legs?