Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

MY CHIHUAHUA CAME DOWN WITH SNEEZES,RUNNY NOSE,ABOUT 3MO.

Customer Question

MY CHIHUAHUA CAME DOWN WITH SNEEZES,RUNNY NOSE,ABOUT 3MO. AGO. IVE BEEN TO 3 VETS,WITH NO SUCCESS(ANTI HISTEMINE and PROBIOTIC) CAN ANY VET HELP ME?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

Has any vet put her on antibiotics?

Has any vet ran any blood work or taken any x-rays of her nose?

What condition are her teeth in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
antibiotics,no blood tests,teeth are clean,no exrays
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. What does the discharge from the nose look like?

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I am not set up to do phone calls right now. I can opt out to see if another vet can help you, or we can continue the conversation online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the discharge is clear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clear discharge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
convenia inj.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of blood tests
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I will be right with you.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. A vet should be able to find the cause, but they are going to have to run some testing. The clear discharge suggests more of an allergy or viral cause, but you still have to consider a bacterial infection, a nasal tumor, a fungal infection or nasal mites. I will say that with nasal mites, they are usually sneezing a lot, but it doesn't hurt to do empirical treatment for mites. Usually, ivermectin injections will correct that. First and foremost, some blood work and x-rays of the nasal passages need to be done. An x-ray may show a sinus problem, a potential nasal tumor or destruction of the nasal passages. If she had previous problems with an upper respiratory infection, then it can cause some permanent damage to the nasal passages that will lead to chronic sneezing. Sometimes anti-histamines may not completely eliminate an allergy, and it may help to put her on a round of Temaril or prednisolone to further rule out an allergy. This will provide stronger ant-inflammatory and allergy control. Even if the teeth are clean and look good, it still doesn't rule out a potential tooth root abscess. I have seen them with otherwise healthy looking teeth and gums from the mouth. An x-ray should be able to rule that out. In addition to routine blood work, your vet may want to consider checking a blood panel to rule out some fungal infections, especially if they are common in your area. Lastly, if everything looks normal on blood work, or if x-rays show something abnormal, your vet may need to refer her to an internal medicine specialist to get a scope placed into the nose in order to get a good visualization of what is going on. Sometimes that is necessary to get the full diagnosis of nasal problems. If there is concern about a viral infection, anti-viral medication can also be prescribed. I just wouldn't expect a viral infection to last for 3 months. If blood work is normal, though, I would consider trying her on a steroid, like prednisolone or Temaril first to see if that help. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chas,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Luci. How is everything going?
Dr. John