brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My 4 year old teacup yorkie had a stroke sunday morning. He

Customer Question

Hi there, my 4 year old teacup yorkie had a stroke sunday morning. He was discharged from the animal hospital monday night with inability to walk due to hopefully only temporary paralysis of the left side. He is sitting up and on a good start to the road to recovery except when he dozes off hell keep his eyes open and they flutter back and forth along with twitching..is this normal following a prior stroke or is he having a seizure...if i pet him all twirching stops and hes fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Based on your description, I think it is most likely that Frankie is asleep and dreaming during these episodes. Seizures cannot be stopped with outside stimuli, so the twitching would continue in spite of you petting him if he was having a seizure.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

If you can videotape one of these events, it would be helpful. You can post it to youtube or similar and send me the link.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Aside from that, I'm a bit concerned that he may have some damage to his eyes if he isn't closing them fully when asleep. You can purchase an over the counter eye lubricant (like Blink) and use this for him several times daily. This is an OTC human eye gel that you can get at a regular pharmacy.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.