Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Thanks so much .I am aware that my cavoodle has a torn ACL

Customer Question

Thanks so much for responding.I am aware that my cavoodle has a torn ACL joint and wanted to know approximately how much this operation will cost please -he did get some tablets for pain and the Dr wants to reassess in a week but it is getting worse -the tablet is Meloxicam.
Thanks so much
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The cost depends on which procedure is done and who is performing it. If it's the gold standard TPLO, it'll likely run ~ 3000-4000, based on your location. This is done by a board certified veterinary surgeon.

If you're having the lateral suture (aka MRIT) procedure by a surgeon, it'll likely be ~ 1800-2200. If that same procedure is done by a general practice vet, it'll likely be in the(###) ###-####range.

No matter what, the prognosis should be good for return to normal function. The TPLO dogs are up walking on the leg within 24-48 hours. The lateral suture dogs may take 1-2 weeks to begin bearing weight. The TPLO dogs also have less post-op arthritis and a lower post-op complication rate. It's the better procedure, but it does cost quite a bit more. This is because of the added expertise and the fact that a plate is used to stabilize the tibia to perform the surgery.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.