Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog had a head injury and lost her eye. Since then she

Customer Question

My dog had a head injury and lost her eye. Since then she doesn't eat, stand or walk. The operation to remove the eye was 11 days ago, and I've been giving her nutri gel because she doesn't eat. She barely moves and just lays there. She won't even get up to go to the toilet. She can lift her head and move it around, but even that looks like she hasn't got full control. She isn't paralysed and can move her legs, but when I've tried to sit her up or stand her up, she looks weak and wobbly and slowly lies back down. I know her blood sugar is fine, because of the nutri gel. The vet doesn't know what's wrong, but I suspect cranial edema. Do you have any other ideas? I read that glycerol can relieve it. If so, how much should I give her, and how? Add it to water, or just drop it straight in her mouth? She is a 9 year old papillon
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

If she hasn't eaten a normal meal in 11 days, this is bad. I would also worry about swelling around the brain. This can eventually resolve, but it can take weeks to months in some dogs.

This would be my approach to the case:

1. Get a feeding tube in her asap. I would put in an esophagostomy tube into the esophagus at the level of the neck. This will allow you to feed her entire nutritional requirements each day. This, to be honest, should have been done 8-9 days ago.

2. Give Mannitol injectably. This is a medication to lower the swelling around the brain. I would give a dose, then repeat in 4-6 hours. If no improvement, then stop at that point. If it seems to help, then I would continue this for 24-48 hours.

3. Physical Therapy- I would do balance exercises, flexing/ extending of joints and controlled/ sling walking. Ideally, this can be done every 4-8 hours. This will help get the muscles and joints moving and help her get on her feet faster.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Suki. How is everything going?