Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Within the last couple of hours our 10 year old male yorkie

Customer Question

Within the last couple of hours our 10 year old male yorkie won't open his eyes. Earlier this afternoon I bathed him with special shampoo that our vet recommended for him because he was breaking out with bumpy rashes on his skin. I'm concerned that the shampoo may have gotten in his eyes and an ingredient in the shampoo might be causing this problem. He seemed fine just after bathing him but in the past two hours both eyes are now shut and he hides his eyes in a blanket in an apparent attempt to keep the light out of his eyes. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

It does sound like the shampoo probably burned his corneas. We can see pretty severe ulcers to the entire front of the cornea when this happens.

To treat, you really need to get him seen by a vet. Prescription drops that have an antibiotic, like Neo-Poly-Gram, is needed. I also usually put them on an anti-inflammatory med for the pain. This may be topical (Flurbiprofen) or oral (Rimadyl). They are usually much more comfortable within 12-24 hours of starting the meds. They heal completely within 7-10 days.

From home, the only thing that will help is a saline rinse. This can help soothe the corneas. You want to use saline as opposed to water that will dry them out more.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chewy. How is everything going?