Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My granddaughters rabbit managed to break off her two top

Customer Question

my granddaughters rabbit managed to break off her two top front teeth at the gum line. How will this poor thing eat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long ago did she break her teeth?

Are you seeing any bleeding from her gums?

Has she eaten anything since this happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she broke them about 20 minutes ago and there is no bleeding. they are still just hanging there but are very much movable. she keeps [awing at them
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that she broke her two front teeth. This is concerning since she is pawing at her teeth which is an indication of discomfort. The front teeth of a rabbit do continuously grow throughout their entire life therefore the good news is that these teeth will grow back in the next 1-2 months though I would recommend taking her to a vet to have the broken part of the teeth trimmed off to relieve the discomfort she is feeling.

Once the broken pieces are removed she really should be able to eat just fine as rabbits have molar teeth in the back of their mouth which are used to grind up hay and veggies that they eat daily. The front teeth are more used to grab onto food to then pass it to the back of the mouth . With broken incisors (front teeth) she will still be able to grab onto food with her lips.

If the teeth are very movable and loose, you could try to gently push the broken pieces out of her mouth to help relieve the pressure though this may be difficult if the pieces are still slightly connected. If the teeth are still slightly connected then home care is going to be difficult unfortunately in which I really would recommend taking her to a vet to have the teeth trimmed to allow her to eat again tonight. As I said, once the pieces are removed she really should be able to eat just fine again.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.