Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog swallowed a large item. Went to vet and they did

Customer Question

My dog swallowed a large item. Went to vet and they did emergency surgery. What all do they do to charge 3500.00$
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your dog and the foreign body surgery it had to have. I am happy to help you this evening. I realize that this is a lot of money and I hope I can help clarify the cost. When a dog eats a foreign object and it is in the stomach or intestines then it requires surgery to remove this is a very major and complicated surgery. From the beginning the exam is performed, x rays are completed to locate the foreign body and know what to expect in surgery and to prepare for surgery. Blood work is done to make sure your dog will survive surgery and to make any adjustments to drugs used during surgery if changes are seen on blood work with kidneys or liver. Then there is surgery itself which is a major surgery. Your dog is put under using the same drugs and gasses as used in human surgeries to ensure the safest possible surgery with the best outcome for your pet. Your dog most likely had a catheter placed and IV fluids were administered during the whole procedure to keep your dog stable, keeping blood pressure stable and organs functioning properly. Your dog was connected to heart rate, ecg, blood pressure, pulse oximeter, temperature monitoring, respirations, end tidal C02 monitors. All making sure your dog is stable and does its best during surgery. Your dog is also administered pain medications and antibiotics to ensure no infections post op and to make sure you dog is not painful during the major surgery. Then the surgery itself is a major surgery involving opening the whole abdomen and exploring all orgains and every inch of the digestive tract. Then removing the foreign body surgically without causing any detrimental damage to the intestinal tract and making sure once everything is sewn back up that nothing is leaking into the abdomen. This surgery takes a large amount of time and skills that your veterinarian possesses. Also your dog was monitored and managed by multiple veterinary technicians during this whole procedure. After surgery your dog is hospitalized and all pain is controlled with medications and kept stable with medications and fluids while it recovers. All while being monitored and treated by vet techs and doctors. So yes this is a lot of money but the amount of medications, machines, skills, tools, instruments that go into removing this large item is tremendous. That is what adds up so quickly but is necessary. I hope this makes sense and is just a brief review of what actually happens as all of this actually takes hours and hours to complete.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!