Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog just ate an 8 inch yellow cake!!! What should I do???

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily from what I can see of the ingredients of a yellow cake there is nothing in the cake that is going to be toxic to him (except if xylitol was used instead of sugar) but he will have quite the stomach ache for a few days.

Since this just happened you can elect to induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

You can also elect to simply monitor but very likely he will have gastrointestinal upset for the weekend which may include vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite, lethargy. Inducing vomiting will remove it from his system and minimize the results that will occur the next 24-48 hours.

If you elect not to induce vomiting then please minimize food intake for 24 hours, white rice and lean boiled meat in smaller more frequent meals when you do begin to feed, and pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours for the weekend...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be best to have him vomit?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I would consider it if he were mine to minimize the headache for us both this weekend. The only risk with inducing vomiting is potential for aspirating some of the cake into his lungs but risk is very low and very likely he is going to have some vomiting this weekend if you don't induce vomiting

Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions or clarify anything else for you this evening

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am checking in before signing off for the night. I am online another 10 minutes if I can be of any further assistance, were you able to induce vomiting?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check on you both to see how your Lab did after we spoke last night? Were you able to induce vomiting? Has he been comfortable? I would love an update when you are able!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Summer Steiner. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman