Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My bernese mountain dog has a pocket of fuild on s ear. The

Customer Question

My bernese mountain dog has a pocket of fuild on his ear. The ears not bothering him. Nor is it red or hot, but what could it be.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Debbie and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Chief has a problem, the chances are this is very minor though, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. While I cannot diagnose this with 100% certainty via the internet from your description and my past experience I would say that it is highly likely that your dog is suffering from a condition called Aural Haematoma.

2. This happens when a dog bursts a blood vessel between the layers of skin on his ears, these vessels keep bleeding and the ear fills up with a bubble of blood. The good news is that this is rarely a serious condition. This has most likely happened because he has an infection in his ear canal which made the ear itchy, repeated scratching results in the burst blood vessel in the ear flap. This condition will be easy for your vet to diagnose by drawing off a little fluid with a syringe.

3. Treatment : Opinions will differ between vets but what I always do is this :

A. Drain the haematoma with a large syringe and a large bore needle, this can be done in the consulting room. At the last second pull back on the syringe and quickly withdraw the needle so as to create a vacuum in the by now drained ear which helps suck the ear flap together. Prior to this I put small amount of a drug called depomedrone into the ear flap cavity via the syringe.

B. In 50 % of cases the swelling comes right back, my policy was to drain these ears twice and if it then came back in a short space of time I had the dogs for the day for a minor operation which usually resolves the situation.

4. It is important that the ear canals should be thoroughly examined with an otoscope and checked for outer ear disease which in most likely the trigger factor. This can usually easily be treated with antibiotic ear drops.

5. I guess all this means a trip to the vet as it will be hard for most owners to handle this themselves, but the good news as I said is that aural haematoma is almost always a very minor sort of condition. If left alone and no treatment carried out the fluid will eventually reabsorb but such ears then have are left with a crinkly appearance.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his ear problem ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.