Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dog vomit up food and is dripping saliva what's the likely

Customer Question

Dog vomit up food and is dripping saliva what's the likely problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

There are many causes of vomiting in people and pets. Can you please provide me with a little more information such as weight, age, sex so I can help guide my response to possible causes? In addition:

- Gum color and whether they are sticky or slimy
- Rectal temperature
- Abdominal swelling
- Resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute while resting)
- Any diarrhea
- How long this has been ongoing

- Have you offered him anything to eat besides his dog food

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Vomiting food and increased salivation (a sign of nausea) can be due to many different things in a dog. It can be viral, something ingested/ foreign body, metabolic or something going on with organ function, or even an infection

Today:

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode. If he is still salivating a lot then please remove water as well for this period of time to allow the intestinal tract to rest and stop any abdominal contractions and waves of nausea

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting your dog comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I hope my information was helpful to you and that he is feeling better since you asked your question

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!