Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a wire-haired fox terrier,that occasionally makes a

Customer Question

I have a wire-haired fox terrier,that occasionally makes a wheezing sound I was told to give her a small amt. of tussin as she may have congestion.Is this dangerous to her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Neither Tussin-DM nor Tussin-CF are recommended to be used in dogs. The dextromethorphan and guaifenesin in those products is no longer recommended due to lack of efficacy in dogs and the decongestant phenylephrine in the Tussin-CF can cause agitation, excitement, and restlessness in dogs. It would be preferable to have Bella's vet investigate the underlying reason why Bella occasionally wheezes and then treat accordingly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.