Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 year old westie had s right ball joint removed after a

Customer Question

My 6 year old westie had his right ball joint removed after a fracture he was only 4 months old. Now at 6 years old the vet tells me that he has a left crutate ligament tear. While doing x-rays she said there is a problem with his hip. She said surgery may not help because of what she seen on the x-Ray. He is schedule for surgery but stated to me surgery my not be done on the knee because of the hip. They are going to do total hip x-rays just before surgery to see if his hip on the left is in good shape. Should I proceed with surgery is there a happy life for him without surgery? I do not want him to be in pain the rest of his life. It was a total rupture of the ligament.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am very sorry to hear that Riley has had so much issue with his back legs. In regards ***** ***** question, I do think it is good that his vet is xraying and assessing the hip before proceeding with surgery. This is because while a cruciate rupture does need to be addressed (otherwise he will always have discomfort/issue with that knee), it is important to make sure the other joints can pick up the slack for the cruciate while it is healing post-surgery. Because if those joints are too compromised to do so, then it is a situation where we would have to decide if we want to take a chance and see if repairing the rupture is enough to get him mobile (knowing that it may not be enough if there is more getting him down then the rupture). Though, that said, if he was well mobile prior to the rupture, then we'd be cautiously optimistic that with the surgery and strict rest during the recovery that we could get him throught his.

So, in this case, there is a risk of treatment failure if there is more causing his left leg signs then the cruciate rupture alone. And this is what his vet is checking for at this stage. So, we'd hope that those hip changes are not severe so that surgery can proceed. Especially since the alternative of not addressing this would be discomfort, arthritis of the knee (as they body tries to stabilize it on its own), and the lameness/struggles you have been seeing since the ligament ruptured.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Riley. How is everything going?
nekovet