Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog won't lay down and is pacing while kicking her left

Customer Question

My dog won't lay down and is pacing while kicking her left back leg out.. She had TPLO on that leg 6 years ago. Not crying but looks worn out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is almost 16 has good days but is becoming confused I think... I think she is deaf and sight are both weak but don't think she is in pain
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Vike hasn't been feeling well this evening - I'm here to help.

When I hear of pets who are unable to settle like you're describing, there are two different causes I'm looking for: either physical discomfort of some kind (including pain anywhere, itching, or nausea) or anxiety. As you can imagine, physical discomfort is pretty much impossible for me to assess without seeing her myself, but most times owners have an idea of what might be bothering their dog by watching their behavior. Some dogs with sore backs will guard their spine (tighten their belly muscles when you try to bend their back), some dogs with joint or limb pain will limp, dogs with severe itching are easy to spot because you're seeing lots of scratching. Nausea or GI discomfort is often followed by vomiting or diarrhea - they can get all crampy just like we can when they are having a GI upset. I've seen dogs with things like abscessed anal glands, severe allergies, fleas, GI upsets (diarrhea or vomiting), back or limb pain, and even ear infections be up all night pacing and trying to settle. The possibilities, unfortunately, are many. If we've done a full physical and potentially some lab work if we thought it indicated and we cannot see any sign of physical problems, that's when we will consider anxiety. Obviously some pets show us with their behavior that it's anxiety by "targeting" the source of their anxiety - for instance, my dog had a serious phobia of stink bugs, which would cause him to pant, drool excessively, pace, and whine any time we had one in the house. It took me awhile, but eventually I recognized that the bug was the trigger. Equipped with these tips, I think that you may be able to have a better idea of what's bothering her. Red flags that indicate that we need to seek emergency care would be: any sort of abdominal distention, pale or white gums, very high heart rate (>140 beats per minute), or any sort of labored breathing.

Thanks for the extra bit of information. It's fantastic that she's 16! That's a great age! You are right in that they can start to look a little confused - dogs can get senile just like people do. Lots of older dogs do have a significant increase in pacing, panting, and barking as they age, including changes to their sleep/wake cycle, meaning that they sometimes will be up all night and sleep all day. If we end up thinking that she's got an age related senility going on, there are actually medications that the vet can prescribe to help.

Red flags that indicate that she should get to an emergency vet would be if she's having any sort of labored breathing or respiratory distress, if her gums are pale, she collapses or has anything that looks like a seizure, or her belly is becoming distended.

i hope that she calms down for you soon and you have a quiet night - what other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Vike. How is everything going?
Doc Sara