Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Our 4 year old St. Bernard lost all feeling in s tail and

Customer Question

Our 4 year old St. Bernard lost all feeling in his tail and cannot control his bladder. 3 vets agree the bladder, prostrate and penis have no blockage. Suggest a MRI which is 2 hours out of town to see if after surgery the spinal vertebrae can be enlarged to help the nerve? 5% success rate?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Rowdy has such a severe neurologic disorder.

I would strongly recommend taking him for the MRI. Based on your history, I would wonder if he has blown a disk at the attachment of his tail to his pelvis. There is a surgery to correct this- the blown disk is removed from between the two bones.

The following is a link to a nice description of disc disease in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3215

After the MRI, you and the neurologist will be able to make a good decision about the treatment plan for Rowdy. If he is fixable, then have surgery. If he is not fixable, then you may have to consider euthanasia.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Rowdy this evening? Did you decide to take him for the MRI? Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda