Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I have 4 coon hound puppies there 11 weeks old I worm them

Customer Question

I have 4 coon hound puppies there 11 weeks old I worm them every 2 weeks they have had there first two shots I went to feed them and 1 wouldn't eat I brought him in the house and he a very watery stool he seems very tired what do you think it might be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I'm sorry to hear that your puppy is having this problem. This could be related to a vaccine reaction but could also be an separate gastrointestinal problem in and of itself. It is common after a vaccine to have some tenderness at the injection site and to be somewhat sleepy. However abnormal signs that indicate a reaction by be hives, facial swelling, respiratory difficulty and of course vomiting and diarrhea.. How is his appetite overall? Is their any vomiting seen? Did he have a recent diet change or eat anything different in the last few days to lead to a gastrointestinal upset..

Since your puppies are still in the process of completing initial vaccinations, you also do not have immune protection against Parvovirus infection so this should also be considered. Have your puppies been exposed to a dog or environment where Parvo microorganism may have been present. Watch for any blood in the stool, vomiting and severe depression or lethargy..

Continue to watch her and if ANY signs are indicating either a vaccine reaction or Parvo virus, she should be seen by your regular DVM right away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday there was food left when I gave them there evening feeding tonight the other three had a big appetite she didn't eat I brought her in the house she diarrhea once and threw up a chewed up leave she is sleeping now she did drink some water

Okay, if she ate enough leaves and/or grass that may been enough to cause her some mild gastrointestinal upset. I would let her rest and keep her indoors close to her for now so you can watch her. Allow her to have free access to water but I would withhold food until mid day tomorrow and see how she feels.

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

Please take the time to rate my response to your question? Thank you:)