Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Me again! I am whelping a female friend who sent her to me

Customer Question

Hi, me again! I am whelping a female for a friend who sent her to me to breed to my male and yes there are 2 more little girls in the family! Now it is definitely an army!!! Anyway, as there was a small litter momma needed a bit of helping working the
2nd baby down and had total of 3 x .25 cc (20 USP) oxytocin during labor. Everything seemed fine but I did not see the placenta as momma was curled well around the baby. She had a small amount of very dark green discharge for about a day, now 51 hours since
2nd/last baby (I had her xrayed prior to delivery so we know we are done and I knew it was ok to give her the oxytocin as the position and size of puppy was fine) there is no discharge, but she has started panting and I just took her temp and it is 103.3.
I don't know if we are looking at retained placenta or how much of an increase in temperature afterwards is normal. I have started her on clavamox and breeder's edge oral cal plus. My question is I know she has already received a total of .75 cc 20 USP oxytocin
and generally oxyticin should be given within 48 hrs following delivery. Would it be dangerous to give her a final clean out shot at 51 hours out? I just want to make sure she is not setting up an infection from a retained placenta. She was acting fine until
just now. She had been picky but eating her Eagle Pack Chicken canned and now she doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. Thoughts? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need a quick answer please!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have a call into my vet who saw her a couple of days previous to whelp so I'll just cancel this question. Thanks anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WANT TO CANCEL THIS QUESTION. Why is there no way to cancel the question before it is answered? Anyway, I got a call back from my vet so thank you anyway.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I do apologize that I am actually out of town at the moment and therefore wasn't present to aid you when you posted. Anyway, I wanted to just send you a wee note and let you know that I will pass your question back to customer service to be cancelled/refunded.

Take care & all the best to the wee ones,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries.... I just decided to call the vet that had seen her as that made sense; funny I wrote to you first tho! Thank you.