Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a pit with very sensitive skin. s anal area is very

Customer Question

I have a pit bull with very sensitive skin. His anal area is very inflamed and he is doing a lot of butt scooting. Is there anything we can do to help with the inflammation and itching.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Whiskey has been having a difficult time with his skin issues - I'm here to help. There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out some thoughts for you. You can reply at any time with additional information or questions. Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

While scooting and itchy bottoms are commonly found with allergic skin disease, it could also be that Whiskey is having some anal gland discomfort. Anal gland issues and allergies do go together, so it's likely a bit of both. In terms of allergies - that's a huge topic but I'd be happy to provide you with more information if you're looking to find out what he might be allergic to or looking for long term management of allergies. Your question seemed to be more geared at finding out what you can do right now to help, so that's where I'll focus first.

You certainly can try expressing Whiskey's anal glands at home - here is one of my favorite videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHDbuqxJNvE

And a walk through with pictures: http://www.wikihow.com/Express-a-Dog's-Anal-Gland

If he's scooting because his anal glands are full and you're able to empty them, then this will help tremendously. If you see any blood in the anal glad secretions, this could indicate an infection that will need a prescription of antibiotics to get better.

You can also apply some hydrocortisone cream topically to the rectal area a couple of times a day. Try to keep him from licking it off. It's not likely to hurt him to lick it, but if he removes it all, he won't get any benefit.

For healthy dogs who aren't on any medications and have no other health issues, a dose of 1mg per pound of benadryl can help soothe allergic itching.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Whiskey. How is everything going?
Doc Sara