Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

While I was in the shower this morning my 9 mo puppy found a

Customer Question

Hi - While I was in the shower this morning my 9 mo puppy found a mini Bic lighter and chewed it into 2 pieces. She didn't ingest any of the lighter pieces, but may have gotten some of the fluid -- I'm not sure. It wasn't a new lighter, so I'm not sure how much fluid was actually in there. She had eaten breakfast about 20 mins prior. I've been trying to get her to drink water but she's about as interested in that as she usually is.
This happened about 3 hours ago and she seems to be acting normal. She's playing with her toys, was chasing squirrels on our walk, and isn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Her breathing is normal and she's not drooling or anything. I called our vet and the receptionist freaked me out talking about potential kidney problems, etc., but SHE SEEMS TO BE FINE. Do I rush her to the vet? The answers I've found online so far lead me to believe she'll be fine, but I just want to make sure there's nothing that I can be doing for her right now to be sure that she'll be okay.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am small animal veterinarian. It does depend on how much of the lighter fluid she may have ingested.. Since it has been several hours and lighter fluid is a caustic solution, I would not recommend inducing vomiting. You have two options here.. Worst case scenario is she will experience symptoms of toxicity but GI and neurological signs would occur before kidney symptoms. You can continue monitor her for signs of nausea, vomiting, lethargy, neurologic signs (disorientation, seizuring, collapse) and take her in if you become concerned. Or.. you can take her to your regular DVM who will most likely give her activated charcoal to coat her stomach and intestines to prevent absorption of the fluids and/or give her intravenous fluids to flush any toxins from her bloodstream and, thus protecting her kidneys and other organs from damage.

I hope this is of help to you;)

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks