Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My mc papillon has a growth on the side base of s tail.

Customer Question

my mc papillon has a growth on the side base of his tail. seems to be growing faster than I anticipated. I have been watching his bowel movements I make sure it is all good. sometimes I have to assist . First time I went to the vet he did a needle aspiration and said if he isn't hasn't problems than all good. my concern is he is starting to have some issues I have heard of injecting the area of depo .... going to see what my options are today do you have any thoughts. taking his tail of is not an option unless needs be/ thank you shelly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Shelly and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely this mass is a benign tumor and it would have been better to remove this earlier before it has gotten too large to remove. At Mulligan's age, we often recommend not removing this unless it starts to interfere with function. Unfortunately, an injection of Depo Medrol will not help Mulligan unless the mass is becoming painful but this will only last a few weeks and then you are back to where you started.

It is best to remove this and it does not have to be the entire tail unless there is not enough skin remaining to fill in this defect. Check with your vet, Shelly....if removing the mass is an option, do it soon before it grows any larger.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****