Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a Pomeranian dog that stopped eating and now is

Customer Question

I have a Pomeranian dog that stopped eating and now is throwing up water for 3 days now, I am worried...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Did your vet do any testing like xrays or blood work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does have a random collapsed trachea which he has taken a steroid shot about 2 weeks ago, he was on cough suppressants when he was eating, and on Sunday I gave him table food, the vet though this was the cause, no they did a stool sample and took his temp...
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Is he currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 14 pounds and he was on 2 meds, a cough suppressant and something to relax him...
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It can be caused by primary problems in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to systemic diseases. Common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that this has been ongoing for 3 days I am concern about his hydration.

I would recommend having him re-checked today by family vet for some testing (xrays and blood work) as initial screening test. Pending test results the vet will start him on supportive care (IV fluids, anti emetics, etc.). In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter