Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had intestinal surgery 3 months ago. He has done well

Customer Question

My dog had intestinal surgery 3 months ago. He has done well overall, has regained lost weight, eats and drinks well, has normal stools. At times he seems uncomfortable and has
abdominal growling. Should I be concerned about the possibility of leakage in his intestines? -- 1/4 of his small intestine had to be removed due to the presence of a foreign
body ( apparently pieces of ingested fabric which formed into a rope like object.) He is 10 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this current concern for Simon but that's great that he's recovered so well from his surgery. However, I hope to reassure you that since so much time has passed since his surgery, leakage is not likely to be a problem (although I can understand why you might think it would be).

I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How often does he behave as you describe? Daily? Weekly?

2. Is there any specific time of the day that this appears to occur or is it random?

3. How long do the episodes last?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb