Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy is throwing up and won't eat. It was a color and

Customer Question

My puppy is throwing up and won't eat. It was a white color and now is a creamy color. He is 3 months old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Can he at least keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, is it tender, sore, tense or hard?

Any chance he has eaten something harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, medications, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He threw up once on Monday and then was fine on Tuesday. Then woke up this morning and threw up 3 times. His poop was normal color. He now has eaten half his food. He did eat some grass last night when I brought him outside. His gums are pink and moist. And when I press on his belly he doesn't react and it doesn't seem hard.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now it souds like this has brewing for a wee while already with Hudson. Therefore, our main concerns for these signs in a dog is age would be a bacteria or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa, dietary indiscretions, toxin and/or foreign material ingestion (the last two always a concern with a young dog.

With all this in mind, we do need to tread with care. As long as a harmful ingestion is less likely and he can keep water down, you can try some home care to settle his stomach. To start, if he has just vomited, then we'd want to rest his stomach for a few hours. Food should be withheld, but water can be left down in small sips (or as ice cubes) to prevent over drinking causing vomiting.

Next, once he is more settled and since his signs are telling us that he is nauseous, you can try him on antacid therapy. Pet safe options include:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.

Once this is on board, we often will put them onto a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients). Alternatively, there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) Whichever you choose, we tend to offer this in small meals to keep the stomach settled.

On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on Hudson's water intake. To check his hydration status to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this here. (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=giTyuiF_slw). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have your lad seen by the family vet before this gets out of control (especially as this is wha makes them feel unwell).

Overall, we do have a few concerns for what you are seeing here. Therefore, we'd want to take the above steps just now. Of course, if he appears dehydration or you do not see improvement in 12-24 hours (since he is a dehydration risk), then you do want to get your vet involved at that stage. They can assess his hydration, check him for signs of any sinister lumps/bumps or things that should not be in his stomach. They can also cover him with antibiotics and anti-nausea/vomiting medication by injection to settle his stomach and get him back on track.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )