Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

If I think my dog was drugged how do I have to get s blood

Customer Question

If I think my dog was drugged how long do I have to get his blood work done that it will show up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

What kind of drugs are you thinking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure, I think he qas drugged so people could get close to my house. That night he would not bark would either just sit or lye there when noises were being made. The next day he was very thirsty
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks.

I'm typing up your answer now. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

So the chance of a toxin showing up on bloodwork is actually pretty low. There are literally hundreds of potential toxins that could be considered to cause lethargy and sedation. It could be anything from Xanax to marijuana to Benadryl.

Some toxins will show an increase in liver enzyme elevations. This will occur within 12-24 hours of the ingestion. It may then take 3-5 days for that enzyme elevation to come back down to normal.

I would get bloodwork done within 24 hours of the sedation that you noticed at home. We won't be able to do a tox screen like in people, but we can get an idea if the liver is working harder to rid the body of something.

Most non-fatal toxins will have a dog that is back to normal within 24-48 hours. The really bad ones- antifreeze, Bromethalin rat poison, ricin- those are typically fatal once signs are seen. It doesn't sound like that is going to be the case.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.