Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Our snouzer/poodle ate a German chocolate bar - must have

Customer Question

Our snouzer/poodle ate a German chocolate bar - must have been about 6 hours ago - we were out - she threw it up 30 minutes ago - will she b ok - what do we watch for
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see your pup got into some chocolate. Can you tell me the approximate weight of your dog, the approximate size in ounces of the chocolate, and the type of chocolate (was it milk chocolate, dark chocolate, baking chocolate)?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I have attached a link to an article on chocolate toxicity below. Signs of toxicity include repeated vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, tremors and seizures, and racing heart rate. If you do see any of these signs in your dog, I would recommend getting her to the emergency clinic as quickly as possible for supportive care.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1762

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Since I don't have your dog's weight or size of chocolate it is hard for me to tell you if she has ingested a dangerous amount. If you do review this answer and know the dog's approximate size and the type of chocolate, you can use the calculator at this link to see the chances for adverse reactions

http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

Please let me know if you have additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service. Good luck and thank you!