Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 13 year old Samoyed has a serious case of cutenious

Customer Question

Our 13 year old Samoyed has a serious case of cutenious discoid lupus on ther nose, eyes and gums. She has trouble getting up (hips) and squating. Today I noticed 2 golf ball lumps near her vagina and anus, she continues licking and will not let me touch her there to see if they are hard or soft. She has a strong odor, ammonia smell. I cant get an appointment with my vet for 2 weeks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with KC. Can you upload a photo of these lumps to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. A macro lens is best for a good close-up pic. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

The ammonia smell arises when a bacteria infecting her urinary tract splits one molecule of urea into two molecules of ammonia. These infections are common when steroids have been on board. Please see if you can have KC seen sooner. The sooner antibiotics are prescribed, the easier it will be to rid her of her urinary tract infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get a picture.

I understand. Perhaps her anal sac glands are infected and distended and the infection in those glands is the same as in her urinary tract. Please do your best to have her attended to at your earliest convenience. I would expect a broad spectrum antibiotic to be prescribed after a urinalysis is performed. If her anal sac glands are infected, they'll be evacuated and, ideally, flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and then packed with an antibiotic ointment. Please continue our conversation if you wish.