Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I arrived in france from california last week with my 12 lb.

Customer Question

I arrived in france from california last week with my 12 lb. bichon. It's not his first trip so i know what his jet lag can be like but he's doing some rapid breathing, and last night his gums were pink but tonight they red at the base (where his teeth are) and along the upper edge ... top of the gums. It's 10:30p here in france. Should i call the emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you feel comfortable saying that you are certain his gums were not red before?

2- Is he coughing?

3- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see the red lines in his gums last evening but i can't say for sure they were not there...mostly they are pink...just the red lines at tooth line mostly.
No coughing.
I was thinking the lethargy was jet lag but when he didn't want his chew, i became concerned. He was fine on a walk this evening. Stools seem normal....twice a day: am and evening. Then the panting as he goes to sleep was concerning, too.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the redness could be gingivitis which is very common. However, when we put all of his symptoms together of: Red gums (hyperemic), panting excessively, lethargy, etc. this could also be symptoms associated with heart or lung disease. For this reason I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with a veterinarian, on history alone it will be difficult to determine if this is related to the heart/lungs or not. To be on the safe side I would have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian if this was my dog.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter