petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have an 11 pound 5 month old puppy with a bacterial

Customer Question

I have an 11 pound 5 month old puppy with a bacterial infection. He was given fluids yesterday along with Amoxicillin, Clindamycin, Zofran and something for abdominal pain. he was sent home with Amoxicillin to start today. He is still vomiting and diarrhea continues. My Veterinarian is closed today and her on call is about 70 miles from me. He threw up his antibiotic this morning. I gave him 1/2 Zofran 8mg about 6:30. He has thrown up 3 times since then and has had diarrhea once. I gave him another 4mg of Zofran. Can I give him part of a 2.5 mg Lomotil? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Although Lomotil is sometimes used in dogs to treat diarrhea, for a dog his size his dose would only be about 1/5 of a tab, so it would be very difficult to split that small. In a dog that is vomiting that frequently, sometimes giving anything orally leads to further vomiting, so I would not recommend doing that unless you can get the OK from the veterinarian who examined him yesterday. In fact, he may do better with medications administered via injection versus orally. It is important to monitor his hydration status if the vomiting and/or diarrhea continues as well as one this little can easily become dehydrated. I would strongly recommend that you have him re-evaluated today by the on call vet and so that his treatment can be reviewed and perhaps altered.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jocelyn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Teddy. How is everything going?
Dr Z