Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

L., We recently adopted a dog from a very relaible rescue

Customer Question

Hi Dr L.,
We recently adopted a dog from a very relaible rescue here in NW Ohio, in fact she is our 3rd rescue from them. She looks to be a mix between a yellow lab and either a boxer or pit bull. Of course she had been abused and has had two litters of pups. The vet estimates her to be tow to three years old.
We got her on 10-30-15and she had just been spayed on 10-27-15. When we were getting ready to leave the rescue she had to be assisted into the back seat of my SUV. Didn't think anything about it at the time, we al figured that she was just still sore and tender. But it is another five days now and she still can't even be coaxed up on furniture or the bed. I am a little concerned be because I have had dogs all my life and never had to teach any of them to jump up, it's usually the opposite! :) Should I be concerned or just hope she will finally be comfortable enough here that she will start jumping on furniture? We also have a JRT, who is older, around 7 or 8 and he is the king of the loveseat and the bed and she just looks at him like she is wondering how he got up there!
I might also mention that the first two days she was here she did urinate for 24 hours each day. Her foster mom said she was not quite sure what her potty habits were because they have a fenced in yard and she usually just let all the dogs out by themselves, she also has 4 of her own.
She does not appear to have any injuries to her legs, she walks and runs just fine!
I can't think of anything else to tell you being I have only known her for days, but I am concerned about her not jumping!
Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mavis. Thank you for adopting her.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It appears that Dr. L is not online at this time. Can I be of help, or do you prefer to wait until Dr. L is back?