Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 8 yr old boxer has been dripping blood from s penis,

Customer Question

My 8 yr old boxer has been dripping blood from his penis, there has alos been blood in his urine. This has been going on for a little while on and off. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, and is still urinating, drinking, eating and having bowel movements regularly. The thing is that Im currently going through a terrible divorce and Im financially unable to get him the care that he needs. It's breaking my heart that I can not help him. I have given him azo and some antibiotics that he has had in the past, although I know the antibiotics are not the correct ones, it does seem to help a little. I would love to take him to a vet, but currently I am struggling to pay my mortgage. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry for this concern for Tucker and for your troubles; I suspect you must feel pretty overwhelmed right now:(

I do have a few additional questions to ask about him if you don't mind:

1. Is he neutered?

2. How long has this problem been present?

3. When you see the blood in his urine, is it at the end of the stream primarily or it doesn't seem to matter?

4. Can you be more specific as to what antibiotics you have? The name and dosage amount.

5. And, how much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) he is not neutered
2)On and off for the past 6 months ( I know that sounds horrible, but my husband left 11 mos. Ago and I have had other family issues on top of that..Im struggling to keep it together as a good mother to my kids..and I've totally failed Tucker)
3)it doesn't seem to matter
4)Amoxicillin 200mg, but it hasn't been consistent
5)he weighs around 70 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions and additional information.

You sound like you've got a lot on your plate and are doing the best you can...which is all anyone can do.

There could be several different reasons why Tucker has the blood that you're seeing although without testing (such as a urinalysis), we may not be able to pinpoint the exact problem:

1. Since he's not neutered, he may have a condition called Benign Prostate Hypertrophy which basically means that his prostate is enlarged. Dog with this condition typically don't have any symptoms at all but some will produce a bloody urethral discharge from the penis (the dripping blood that you mentioned) as well as bloody or port-wine colored blood when he urinates.

Many of these dogs will only produce the blood at the end of the stream but this isn't true for all patients.

As the name suggests, this is a completely benign condition although I usually do recommend that these dogs be neutered if at all possible since the prostate could enlarge to the point where it compresses the colon (these dogs might start to strain when they defecate).

The symptoms of blood from the penis and in the urine usually disappears after these patients are altered.

2. Of course, the most common cause for these symptoms is going to be a a urinary tract infection. One possible consequence of this condition if left undiagnosed and untreated would be that bacteria could travel to the kidneys and set up infection there...which potentially could be fairly serious if enough damage is done.

Amoxicillin is a drug which was overused many years ago and urine bacteria had become resistant to it. However, that doesn't always seem to be the case these days and this drug may be effective for some patients. I know some vets who routinely now dispense Amoxicillin for their uti patients in the absence of a culture and sensitivity (to determine the best drug to use).

The dose of Amoxicillin for a 70 lb dog would be 700 mg twice a day for a minimum of 2 weeks (although I'll treat some patients for at least a month). This means that he'd have to take 3.5 tablets at one time if you have 200 mg tablets.

Of course, it would be illegal for me to advise the use of a drug for a patient if it wasn't dispensed or prescribed for them but I can provide the dosage amount which is what I have done.

Supplements with cranberry won't be harmful but aren't likely to help once a uti has already been established (in case you were wondering). Acidifying the urine can help to prevent infections but doesn't resolve them any faster once they are established.

3. Bladder stones can also cause the signs you're seeing but would require an x-ray or ultrasound to diagnose.

4. And, prostate issues such as infection or even cancer, unfortunately, could also cause these signs.

Given your limited options and current situation, I can understand that it's not likely that a workup can be done for Tucker to determine the underlying cause of these symptoms. If he were my dog and I were in your shoes, I'd treat him with the Amoxicillin for at least 4 weeks (since he's had the problem for so long) and hope that he just has a uti which didn't receive antibiotics long enough. Or that he has #1 and will just have intermittent issues until or unless he's altered.

As I mentioned above, his symptoms could be consistent with any one of the above conditions so it won't be possible to narrow down the list without a lot of testing, unfortunately.

I'd also encourage fluid intake to help flush out his bladder regardless of the problem.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucker. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb