Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can sleep apnea cause my chihuahua to have seizures or can

Customer Question

can sleep apnea cause my chihuahua to have seizures or can seizures come from high blood sugar?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

To start, a high blood sugar is not something we often see since the dog's body often will express excess sugar as opposed to allowing the blood sugar to rise to a level where they would have neurological signs like seizures. So, that is unlikely (where low blood sugar could do so and would be a concern if he wasn't eating, had a pancreatic tumor, or problems with insulin production).

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** due to obstructive airway issues, this would be a concern for Jack. Especially since any overgrowth of tissue like an elongagted soft palate or collapsing of an airway like that of the trachea can lower blood oxygen levels to the brain such that they can trigger a seizure. So, this is a much more likely concern and if your vet does have these suspicions, then we'd want to think about scoping (where we use a scope with a camera to check the upper airway tissues appearance) +/- surgical correction to remove any overgrowing and thus obstructing tissues for wee Jack.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His glucose levels in urine and blood are high as of yesterday. So you feel the seizure is caused by the breathing issues?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If both his urine and blood glucose levels were high, then you do need to speak to his vet about diabetes. We can see diabetic seizures but again this is usually due to the glucose being too low (if they don't eat, are unwell with vomiiting, overdosed on insulin, etc) unless we have a diabetic crisis on our hands (unlikely to his vet didn't mention it and he was otherwise stable). So, that is a concern too but this sounds more like a breathing issue type seizure for Jack based on your description.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you :). ..she is concerned he may be diabetic. ..he is having a glucose curve Friday morning. I was just worried as to what to do in the meantime because he had two episodes in the middle of the night.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that they are checking into that, and in that case (since he isn't already under treatment with insulin and not showing any of those other signs), it is our breathing concerns that would fit best with what we are seeing with Jack. So, after they determine the diabetic situation, looking into the airway issues would be the ideal next step.

All the best for Jack,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. :)

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?
nekovet