Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is breathing very quickly. He has IBD AND IS TAKING

Customer Question

My dog is breathing very quickly. He has IBD AND IS TAKING PREDNISOLONE every day
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if Archie is on Prednisolone, this can cause panting in dogs. Therefore, this could just be drug induced. Of course, if you are seeing a resting (non-panting) breathing rate >30 breaths per minute, pale gums, agitation black or bloody stool, or pain; then we'd be more worried about other issues for him. So, do check that rate and if he is breathing above that or showing any of those other signs, then we'd want to have his vet check him urgently to make sure he has no oxygen uptake compromising lung or heart issue, no anemia, and to make sure there is no ongoing damage to the gut (ie ulcers) that could be triggered by his medication in sensitive dogs to cause these signs.

Best wishes for Archie,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Archie. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your feedback. His gums are pink, his appetite is good and he does not have blood in his poo. You have put my mind at rest a little.. I think he is probably just a sick dog who never feels really well but does have more good days than bad ones. I just wish I could fix him. My specialist vet here has put him on tylosin and thinks he may have antibiotic responsive diarrhoea. He hasn't got better but he also hasn't got worse. Thank you regards Marsha
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad that I could help you with Archie. It does sound like is just generally unwell, but if he has diarrhea that is not settling then we'd want to consider having a stool sample tested to rule out infectious agents. As well, canine probiotics +/- kaolin (which you can get in combination in OTC products like Propectalin, Prokolin, Canikur, or Fast Balance) can at least reduce these signs and normalize his GI microflora load to reduce the diarrhea.

Take care,

Dr. B.