Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog threw up thick liquid. Had dog food and some toy fuzz.

Customer Question

Dog threw up brown thick liquid. Had dog food and some toy fuzz. Now about 2 hours later just light brown liquid nothing in it and a lot less
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on Tux's signs, I be most suspicious that that non-edible fluff was likely irritating the stomach lining to trigger this vomiting. That said, if he is a dog that will eat non-edible items, then we'd also have to be wary of a possible gut blockage andn do need to tread with care.

Now as long as his gums are normal colored for him (not pale/white) and he has no belly pain, you can consider trying him on an antacid. Common OTC pet options are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Whichever you choose, we'd give this 20 minutes before food and of course want to check with his vet first if he has any known health issues or is on any other meds you have not noted. Otherwise, if he settles with that, we'd want to put him on a light diet (rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese, or white fish). The aim of these is that they are better tolerated by a compromised gut. And if there is a worry that he has eaten something else odd that he hasn't brought up, then you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin) +/- a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, mirlax, etc) to help move anything lurking in the gut along. Of course, any of those above signs, more vomiting, or he doesn't settle and we'd want a check with his vet for injectable anti-nausea treatment and to ensure nothing is caught in his GI.

All the best for Tux,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marc,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tux. How is everything going?
nekovet