Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a nine year old sheltie and my vet - a new lady seems

Customer Question

I have a nine year old sheltie and my vet - a new young lady seems to not want to get a urine sample- shes has high BUN and I can not get a sample from her - she stops or runs away- should I try a different vet or what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog has kidney disease. A urinalysis is very helpful in looking for concurrent problems such as bladder infection and protein in the urine.

There are two different ways to collect urine from a dog-

1) wait for the dog to urinate and either catch it in a cup or suck it up in a syringe off a clean floor. A "floor" collection is far from ideal, but better than nothing.

2) Cystocentesis- this is where a needle is guided directly into the bladder via the abdomen and urine is removed. This is painful and has minimal risk of complication if done correctly. This can be done "blind" by palpating the abdomen and feeling the bladder first or using the ultrasound to visualize the bladder and the needle passing into it.

Have you asked your vet about both of these options? If she is not comfortable collecting urine via cysto and your dog is not cooperative to donate a sample, you may want to ask your vet about other options in the area. You may be able to see a different vet just for urine collection or if there is a radiologist or ultasonographer for animals in your area, they could also perform the procedure.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your sheltie this evening? Any luck collecting urine?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda