Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My yorkshire terrier has a soft bulging sack on the right

Customer Question

My yorkshire terrier has a soft bulging sack on the right side of his anus that isn't painful. He also is twitching. No other symptoms.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. My initial thoughts...Did you regular DVM check and/or express his anal sacs? He has two anal sacs just on the inside of his anus at approximately the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock position. Some dogs express these sacs on their own but some dog breeds do not and require manual expression. If sacs are not expressed, they can become full and/or infected and then rupture from pressure. Is your dog neutered? If not, he is a higher risk of prostate and testicular cancer and his regular DVM should complete a full rectal exam on him to rule this out. Is your dog an outside dog or one that fights with other dogs. If so, an infected bite wound/abscess could be present but usually this would be tender to the touch. Lastly, is a benign fatty tumor (e.g. lipoma) could also present as a soft, freely moveable mass that is unattached to underlying tissues. I would continue to monitor this area for any changes in size, color or appearance and if these occur, make an appointment for your vet to aspirate and/or remove the mass. I hope this is of help to you;)

Hello again, I hope your Yorkie is feeling better and my advice helped you? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks