Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2 year old german shorthaired pointer was bitten by a

Customer Question

My 2 year old german shorthaired pointer was bitten by a copperhead last Thursday evening. We rushed her to the vet, where they administered antivenin, fluids, antibiotics, andpain medicine. She stayed overnight and came home with medicine to take for several days.... Cephalexin 500 mg and 250 mg, and Predisone. The past day she has been panting and having muscle spasms and shaking. What could be causing this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you!

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Belle's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Well the first thing to say is that thanks to your prompt action this is not likely to be a fatal incident, if that was going to happen it would have probably occurred within the first 48 hours.

2. I live in an area where snakes are common so I am used to dealing with this sort of situation. My experience is this, while this is not going to be a fatal incident it can sometimes be a long haul of two or three weeks before the affected dog is 100% back to it's normal self and some pain and discomfort associated the bite site is very possible in this time, this is the most likely reason for the symptoms you are seeing. This should be transient though and pass in a week or so even without treatment.

3. What to do about it? : You may want to talk to your vet about a change in pain meds to make her more comfortable in the meantime.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not had any muscle spasms or shaking until last night. She is panting more than normal and I just want to know if it could be the medicine she is taking or the antivenin havinga bad reaction.

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further.

I doubt if what you are seeing related to the anti-venom as such reactions are usually allergic in origin and happen very soon after the injection.

It is very likely that what you saw was just some non specific discomfort related to the bite itself and not a serious cause for concern. But if in doubt have her checked over again by your vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is still doing it. She is laying down and her back legs are spasming in and she is shaking. Just to let you know, she was bitten just under the nose.

Hello again,

I have seen just this sort of symptom at this stage following snake bite no matter where the bite was in dogs which subsequently made a full recovery. Judging from the drugs used so far I am sure you vet has done just the right thing but it may be worth having her checked over again just to make sure it is nothing worse and also to possibly change the meds to make her more comfortable in the meantime.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Belle is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the snakebite issue ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.