Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just read your post about a dog ingesting sugar. My did

Customer Question

I just read your post about a dog ingesting brown sugar. My ***** ***** did ingest brown sugar, and threw up four times. It looks like it is mainly water. Should I continue to give her water? I am not intending to give her any food until the morning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Even in large amounts brown sugar is not likely to be toxic to your dog or cause any lasting harm, however you may see short term vomiting and perhaps diarrhoea following this sort of incident. It is also likely that your dog will be thirsty and lethargic for a short time, luckily though any symptoms you see are likely to be short term and most dogs will quickly recover on their own given a day or so.

2. " Should I continue to give her water? " : Where a dog is or has been vomiting then it would be wise to give her small amounts of water on the hour. Straight water is fine but the likes of Pedialyte would be better if it is available.

3. Some owners would also try and control this sort of situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 12 hours but make sure she has access to water as I said above.

B. Then feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way or you become further concerned then you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Zuki is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the sugar incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.