Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog was just groomed this morning and suddenly s left eye

Customer Question

Hi Dr. John. My dog was just groomed this morning and suddenly his left eye is swollen; it is not swollen shut and there is no pus or discharge. It seems the bottom of the eye is more swollen than the top. He is not pawing at it but he tries to keep it closed. All other behavior is normal. Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Boots isn't his usual self tonight - It appears that Dr. John is not currently online, but I'm here to help.

It could be that Boots has had a reaction to some grooming product that may have gotten into his eye. It's unusual but it can happen (hey, it happens to me occasionally too!). Another thing that can sometimes happen during grooming is that their eyes may get dried out by the use of a blow dryer. This is especially true if the grooming salon uses a cage dryer where the pet is stood in a kennel and a blower is attached to the cage door to blow onto the pet to dry them. It could also be that as a complete coincidence, Boots is having an allergic reaction to something else like a bug bit or bee sting. Allergic reactions classically cause swelling of the skin around the eyes and muzzle. Sometimes we will also see hives on their skin. For allergic reactions, a dose of 1mg per pound of benadryl is a good place to start (do check with your vet if he has any health issues or is on any other medications before administering this, though). The squintyness that you're seeing does concern me a bit for a possible corneal ulceration. While it's not likely an immediate emergency, if he's not looking better in the morning, I'd call your vet first thing to have him looked at - we don't like to wait on eye problems. In the mean time, if you've got an E-collar for him to wear to prevent him from pawing or otherwise rubbing at the eye, I'd recommend applying that to prevent him from further traumatizing the eye.

I sure hope that this helps - what other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Boots. How is everything going?
Doc Sara