Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our golden ret (7 yrs old) was put on 20 mg of prednisone 2x

Customer Question

Hi our golden ret (7 yrs old) was put on 20 mg of prednisone 2x daily for seven days for a condition by our vet to be reduced to 1/2 pill 2x for nest week. In the 7th day (last night) she vomited twice. Then she continues vomiting today. She was taken back to vet midday . All xrays were good but her liver levels were extremely high. He tols us to stop immediately (she had already taken half a pill this AM). He also gave her a shot for the vomiting, and other medication to settle her. She got home and vomited again. She has now eaten some rice and appears to be settling. Will she have permanent liver damage?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

No friend, if the liver enzymes elevation are related to the prednisone they should go down back to normal within 2-4 weeks after stopping the prednisone. Sadie will not have permanent liver damage. If they continue to be elevated after 4 weeks I would discuss with your vet about doing an abdominal ultrasound to take a closer look at the liver, there could be something else ongoing unrelated to the prednisone.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!