Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog threw up then he asked drank it to the last drop

Customer Question

My dog threw up then he asked for water drank it to the last drop asked for more then threw up and asked for more water which he threw up to ask for more again this has been on going for about 2 hrs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you are having some problems with your pup. Are you available to answer some questions?

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. It appears that you're not online right now, but I'd like to leave you some thoughts. You can reply at any time with more information on K's condition and how he's feeling so that we can get you the information that you're looking for.

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

Please let me know what other questions i can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)