Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My mini doxie had 7 puppies. A customer bought the only male

Customer Question

My mini doxie had 7 puppies. A customer bought the only male which was fine when he left at 7 weeks. He was the largest in the litter. His mother was salt and pepper and his father was solid red. The customer is telling me now that the puppy's eyes are shaking and he has no depth perception and is running into things. I have followed this line of doxies for at least 8 years and have never heard of anything like this happening to any of the puppies. I have bred my dam 2X's to the same stud. Is there any hope for this baby?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the only e-mail I have. Please use it. This is very important!
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that the pup you sold is ill. Given that you've bred this pairing before and all the research you've done into this line, it's doubtful that this is something that is easily predictable or genetic. In young puppies who are normal but later develop neurologic abnormalities, I'm most suspicious for infectious diseases like distemper, toxoplasmosis, or neospora. These can be a bit tricky to fully diagnose without more intensive diagnostics, but most vets do place puppies with neurologic disease on drugs to cover the most common infectious issues. Has the puppy seen a vet? If not, I'd withhold your judgement until the owner takes him to one. Your absolute best bet to find out if this is hereditary/genetic and also for the best treatment options would be to have the pup evaluated by a boarded neurologist. Please let me know what questions I can answer for you given the information I just presented.

Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am told his eyes don"t dialate correctly when exposed to light, and that's why he bumps into things. They are taking him to an eye specialist.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply! I'm very glad indeed to hear that he'll have an exam by an ophthalmologist - that will get you a good deal of information on what's going on. If it's an "eye only" problem (meaning it's not a brain problem), then his chances for a good quality of life are fantastic. While he's likely to stay blind if he's lost his vision, as long as it's a problem localized to his eyes only, he will still be happy and lead a normal life with the exception of his vision loss. Pets do amazingly well with vision loss, and once they adapt many owners barely notice that their pets are blind within their home, as the pets adapt quite well. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. I'd also be happy to advise you further after you get news from the eye doctor

~Dr. Sara